now what?
I got the job offer.
now what?
Now, I pray a lot and I explore every little tiny dirty detail. It's been awhile since I've worked as an employee. I'll ask about expectations of hours, and about benefits. I'll ask about vacations and flexibility. The possibility of working at home sometimes. They want a year contract, maybe 3-year contract. The offer is close to the salary I wanted, I may be able to talk them up.
What else should I ask about? What did you wish you'd known before you started your job?

5 Comments:
Congrats! Even if you end up not taking it, you know that people want you, right? :)
I wish I had realized that I wasn't going to be eligible for certain benefits (401k) for one year. I'd look into that kind of thing if I were you--find out when you are eligible for all benefits. And, like I said before and you said in the post, working from home opportunities. Salary vs hourly? timecard? (even if it's salary). Weekend/After hours responsibilities/expectations?
Congrats again :)
Excellent! I had no computer yesterday. I was home for a snow day :)
How do you feel about the contract aspect of the offer? For some reason, that would be a big turn off for me? I wouldn't want to be tied down...
Hmm... things I wish I knew... That the answer to every question is "well, that's the way we've always done it..." That they were going to assign me to the biggest work-horse committee before day 1 even started... These are all really specific to my job though and may not be as helpful to you.
In general, I'd want to know how the position fit in with the overall organizational structure. How are reporting lines organized? Who's above/below you in the hierarchy? Is there any expectation for working non-standard hours? Do they expect that you'll be able to come in at a moment's notice if there are any issues/problems related to your position? Do you get vacation time and when/how does it accrue?
If I think of anything else, I'll let you know...
to tag on to Melissa's vacation thing...do you have to use it up by the end of the year or can you carry over a balance?
I don't know how I'd ask this, but I learned after I started that there's a 4 week "leaving the company notice" requirement. Hard to ask about how to quit when you haven't even started though. :)
I'd ask about their policy on moonlighting as well--to make sure they don't have problems with you have other jobs. Some companies do not allow moonlighting.
Long time no talk! I check up on you once in a while via Lindsey's blog...
Grr! i posted too soon...what i wanted to say was this: One thing I wish I would have fully understood before I started my new job is the amount of travel required
Post a Comment
<< Home