Wednesday, January 31, 2007

so mean.

You may remember back in November we invested in this uber-nice treadmill so we could exercise and lose weight this winter. Well, while we haven't exactly become fitness nuts in the last few months, or even lost weight at all, we have been using the treadmill somewhat regularly. I probably use it 3-5 times a week and Adam... well, Adam's use depends on the week... and that is why I'm so mean.

He wants to exercise, he wanted to get the treadmill, but his schedule is tough to exercise to. He gets home at around 6 every night hungry and tired, and he can't convince himself to get up early enough to exercise before he goes to work at 7 every morning... so I decided to start 'encouraging' him.

I've been good at making meals every day
(sidenote: my sister visited this last weekend, and honestly looked at me quizzically a couple times - while i was cooking, or something - and said "what happened to you??") so I've decided that I'm going to make meals, but make them later.

I'm not feeding him until he exercises.

He's always hungry when he gets home from work, but I'm making him suck it up and go exercise before he gets his food. I send snacks to work with him to tide him over. He whined about it yesterday and today, and I felt mean, but he exercised!

15 Comments:

Blogger studiocitro said...

and he listens to you???? wow! i don't think i would ever pull that off.

2/01/2007  
Blogger yellowgirl said...

Well, he actually really wants to exercise, just can't make himself do it, so that little bit of 'encouragement' gets him to do what he wants to do anyway.

2/01/2007  
Blogger Lindsey J said...

With cardio, it's best to have a little something in your belly so you don't "bonk" but you don't want too much food or your (his) body won't eat up those fat cells (glycogen)... just a little something to think about. :)

But good for you for encouraging and supporting him. It makes a big difference. :)

2/01/2007  
Blogger yellowgirl said...

what would consist of 'a little something', would lunch or an afternoon snack cover that? I can't feed him before he exercises, because he has to let the food settle, then he's tired, then it's bedtime :)

2/01/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm with lindsey. he needs a quick snack before he gets on the treadmill. Lunch is too far away. Something before he leaves work or even something small like a granola bar when he gets home would be a good idea. if he's coming home hungry, you don't want him running on the treadmill hungry!

2/01/2007  
Blogger Lindsey J said...

yeah, what karen said. A granola bar when he gets home would be perfect :)

Bonking is bad...you'll have a stark raving lunatic on your hands until you feed him!

2/01/2007  
Blogger yellowgirl said...

lol. i'm glad everyone is concerned about Adam's health!! I've been making dried apples in our dehydrator lately and he's been taking them to work for a snack. But buying some granola bars and giving him one right when he gets home is not a bad idea at all. Actually, i'll pick some up next time I go grocery shopping. Or maybe i'll learn to make my own...

2/01/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Or maybe i'll learn to make my own... " you've gone off the domesticated deep end! that's intervention talk! next thing you'll be slaughtering your own animals and curing the meat! seriously, though, could you prepare a week's worth of meals and send them to me?

2/02/2007  
Blogger yellowgirl said...

be careful what you wish for, i just might.

2/02/2007  
Blogger yellowgirl said...

do you like tuna? Do you like wasabi?

2/02/2007  
Blogger Lindsey J said...

homemade granola's very easy :) I have a wonderful recipe. (I'm overly domesticated)

2/02/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha ha! seriously, though, as you're doing all this cooking, you should be sharing the fabulous new recipes you come across.

which reminds me, i forgot to send you a meatloaf recipe. i've been getting subtle meatloaf hints all week and that reminded me of forgetting.

2/03/2007  
Blogger yellowgirl said...

okay, deal.

Here's what I'll do. Lindsey and Karen, I want the granola bar and meatloaf recipes and on Monday, I'll post my planned recipes for the week.

2/03/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"bonking" sounds awful. And yes, you do sound mean for doing this to your faithful, loving, caring husband...

2/03/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All right. I got this from my mom and it's pretty basic - she probably got it out of a cookbook, but it's easy and it seems to make Mike happy, so here ya go:

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 cup uncooked oatmeal (I usually use Saltines and that tastes fine. I also know people who use torn up bread)
2 beaten eggs
1 cup milk
1 tbsp. sugar
1/4 cup chopped onion (I'd recommend using more if you're an onion fan.)
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dry mustard
green pepper and celery if you want

Mix all ingredients well. Put in a greased pan. Bake one hour at 375. Fifteen minutes before it's done, mix 1/2 cup ketchup and tsp brown sugar and spread/pour over top.

Like I said before, I usually suck the grease off with a baster or whatever they're called. We only buy the super lean ground beef - the 4 percent - and that doesn't seem to have a lot of grease.

2/03/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home