starting a new job
I'm not sure if starting a new job is ever very fun. Even if you're going into a job where you already understand all the techniques and programs and equipment they use, you still have to learn the way people work and all the unspoken rules. There's a suck-it-up few days or few weeks you have to get through before you can really do your job the best way possible.
I think I'll like it once I figure it all out, but it's very frustrating to go into a job that doesn't seem prepared for me to start. "My" computer is the one that is used to update the site, and since I don't know how to do it and it just needs to get done, my co-worker uses it most of the day. I don't have a login to the computer, email, or logins to ANY of the other systems we use to update things. My "office" is actually just a large equipment room or something off the control room. It'll work, but I don't want people to kid themselves and actually think I'm special and have my own real office!
Anyway, I like the people, I'm excited about the job and that gal I'll be working with. I'm excited to see her do the things her job is supposed to do, and once she gets the right equipment and I can do the updating she's doing, she'll be able to do it. She's fresh out of college, I'm excited to see her succeed. I'm excited to get things changed and done better. I'm anxious to get through the next few weeks and to the point where I can actually do the work.

3 Comments:
yeah, the first bit is always a bit of a transition period. i'm sure it'll be nice once "your" computer is actually your own and you have access to the files and programs you need to do your job.
that is frustrating. on the flip side, that can be helpful because you can't be thrown right into the job and expected to know everything if you don't even have equipment, right? when i started at my current place of employment, they just kind of plopped me at a desk and said "go."
as you are starting the job i just handed in my resignation... he ehheeh. i have a good story. well, actually it's not THAT good but gives me the giggles. anyway, this new job sucks, that means i can't call you and chat with you in the middle of the day :(
Post a Comment
<< Home