Survey Time!
YOU are my survey group. Please answer the following questions to the best of your ability:
How do you get the majority of your news - both local and national? (tv, newspaper, web)
What is the specific paper / station / website you read?
Is there anything about that paper / station / website that you love, hate, like, dislike?
Thanks!

6 Comments:
Hmmm.
1. I get all of my local news from the local newspaper, since I have to edit those stories! But I would get it there anyway. I get national news from a combination of television, magazines and, honesly, Jon Stewart.
2. Locally, I read The Gazette. For other news, we usually flip through the news networks. We watch Keith Olberman pretty regularly and Jon Stewart. I really don't spend much time online. I also read the New Yorker, Time, National Geographic (which isn't really news but deals with issues).
3. Um, the local paper is really the only place to get local news, soo... it doesn't really matter what I love and hate. I don't rely on local TV news because it's incredibly inaccurate and cheesy. I generally wish there was less "analysis" on TV and in print and more about why and how it matters. We tend to like Olberman/Stewart because they cut through all the BS.
1. I get most of my news from NPR or the web. I occasionally browse local newspaper or TV websites for local news.
2. SDPB for my NPR enjoyment. http://news.google.com directs me all over the world for my national/international/entertainment/health news. I also spend a bit of time at reuters.com, but most of that is in the "Oddly Enough" section (http://www.reuters.com/news/oddlyEnough) As I said in response to #1, I hit the local newspaper/TV websites for local news. And, of course, I can't forget my hometown weekly paper for my hometown news!
3. Dead links or links from Google News that require logins are my only real pet peeves. Sometimes NPR is a little liberal for me (though they say they balance the stories--that's only true if you happen to catch the counter story which is usually on a different day), but I think that's good for me to gain perspective.
1. The vast majority of my news comes from the web. I don't have much patience for TV news simply because I can't control which stories I hear. Maybe I'm just impatient, but I hate waiting through stories that don't interest me just to get to the one that I do want to hear. I do get a little bit of local news from the local paper b/c we have it in our break room, but its quality is so poor that I can barely make myself read the headlines let alone the stories.
2. For national news, I read the Washington Post online, and sometimes I look at the New York Times online. I use Google News to browse headlines. For local news, I on occasion (see comment above) read the Daily News Record (the Harrisonburg paper).
3. Generally I like the Post, but they use pop-up ads, which I absolutely despise. I think the biggest problem with any news source is finding the right balance of viewpoints.
Local (defined as Agar, SD) - my grandmas - queens of gossip, the both of 'em. I also read the Argus to catch up SD stuff, and I read some of the conservative blogs as well as the Rapid City Journal and the Mitchell Daily Republic (You absolutely cannot consider the Argus as your only source - it's as bad and the NYT with its Liberal bias). Now, I don't actually visit each site every day. Instead, I have set up a Google RSS Reader account and I have essentially compiled my South Dakota news section.
National - Again, I use my RSS feeds, but I tap into the Washington Post, the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal (to an extent, I wish I had full access), the Drudge Report (I check this periodically throughout the day (usuallly)), and I have Google alerts for certain topics of interest. I also have my Google homepage which has some various features to allow you to monitor certain things.
Thus, I'm a web guy, but I would prefer to read and hope to someday read the Washington Post in paper form. I would like to have it to read on the Metro and on weekend mornings with my coffee. I don't much care for TV news - the commentary annoys me and I like more details with my story and not a mere synopsis.
I would say that some of the sites that I visit take a long while to load up - too many graphics, videos files, etc. I like the Drudge because there are no frills and it loads fairly quickly. Also, when I'm at work, video files are flagged and we are not permitted to view them - so if I go to a site with a video file that is trying to load, I'm flagged.
1. All. TV/News - local Web - national
2. The Argus Leader, The Daily Republic, The Sioux City Journal, KSFY/KELO
3. LOVE picture stories, love feature stories, love in-depth 'two-day stories'. Dislike: 'beating the dead horse' with some things. Like, how many days did we have to hear about anna nicole, really!
and i whole-heartedly agree with karen's number 3. Sometimes, the S.F. news stations get it right - but rarely. And super cheesy.
Post a Comment
<< Home