My husband is one of those people who considers everyone he's spend more than 30 minutes hanging out with a friend, he doesn't really judge (and when some little part of him does he will not share it with anyone), he doesn't hold grudges or hard feelings, and he doesn't put much thought into classes, stereotypes, social status, etc. Even when he knows it exists, it's like pulling teeth to get him to talk about it, because why? Because it doesn't matter to him, it's not worth wasting brain cells on, let alone actual words. I love him and hate him.
Put all that in the context of High School, it took me actually being at the reunion to figure some gossipy type things out about his high school class. Who the popular kids were, who they weren't, etc... you know, the stuff that doesn't matter anymore, but that you still just kinda want to know. I had to watch the people and then ask his friends, because Adam's reply would be "I got along with her." It's a statement simply void of information... He got along with everyone.
Anyway. there's a part of me that hoped by the time the 10year reunion rolled around people would be mostly past all those things that matter in high school, but watching a few people in this class the other night proved otherwise. While Adam and his friends mingled with pretty much every last soul there (I sat off to the side because there was no way I was keeping up) one girl sat smack in the middle of the room with her croonies very much surveying the crowd, radiating the I am better than every last one of you vibe, it was in the way she looked at people, in the way she held her cigarette, in the way her clothes and hair were perfect, and in the way she didn't want to move because maybe she would mess them up...

2 Comments:
that's exactly why i'm skipping mine. i remember my mom telling me that she hated her 10-year because no one had changed but loved her 20-year because people had finally gotten over themselves.
I am actually looking forward to mine...if it happens. I think it will be terribly interesting.
Post a Comment
<< Home