Sunday, April 29, 2007

That Money Stuff

We recently started this financial class through our church. We decided to do it because Adam has been veery interested in investments and financial planning and such as of late and he loves the idea of getting a little guidance. So, because it's the same price for the couple as it is for one person, we're both doing it. I was thinking it would be a nice guidance type of thing for figuring out what to do with money. I figured it was the same basic stuff we've all heard, and figured hearing it, reading it, etc is always just kind of a reinforcement. Nice, and you take one little step toward 'doing the money stuff' a little better, but no big changes.

But people, this one is different. And if I could offer up a bit of advice for absolutely everyone. I don't care if you're doing VERY WELL financially, or if you're totally buried in debt, GET THIS MATERIAL and FOLLOW IT. It's a class led by Dave Ramsey, a national radio host and financial planner. It's a whole different way of thinking about money and he absolutely makes it ALL make sense. It doesn't matter if you make 10 thousand or 100 thousand, if you're 21 or 61, he makes it make sense and following his plan can get everyone to be financially secure. Good Stuff. Not Kidding.

It's Christian-based, but besides the fact that he is a Christian and bases his life and his financial planning on it, there's no 'Christian-ese' in here, once in a while he'll throw in a Bible Verse, but that's pretty much it, it basically just works and makes sense. There is a lesson on giving, that probably has more of a Christian focus (we haven't gotten there yet) and it's the last lesson. He covers paying off debt, insurance (and not getting ripped off), investments, making better buying decisions, and more.

No, I'm not getting commissions for it. But pleeeease give it a chance and go take a look: www.daveramsey.com. What we're doing is called 'financial peace university'. There's a book and audio cds. Read the book or listen to the CDs or do it all. It's worth every penny.

3 Comments:

Blogger melissa said...

My church in Reno offered Dave Ramsey's total money makeover class. I never took it, but I have friends who have. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

4/29/2007  
Blogger Meghan said...

We took it - and it made all the difference to take it as a couple. It was very good...

4/30/2007  
Blogger Lindsey J said...

I've heard a lot of very positive things about him and his advice. Glad to hear that it's helping you out!

5/01/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home