the happy taxpayer
I got my own accountant to do my taxes for the first time this year. Don't take that as meaning that I've done my taxes on my own in the past, oh no (I'm a firm believer that accountants have a job to do, and that we need to keep them employed - it helps the economy...) my dad's accountant has always done my taxes, all one w-4 of them.
This year though, this year i'm self employed. Fortunately I didn't make the straight-out-of-college mistake and think 'i'm self employed, i'll deal with taxes when they come'. I've looked at paychecks in the past and added up in my head how many debts i could pay off if i actually had that tax money that i never see. I did my research and knew i'd be paying both halves of social security. I knew it would hit me hard if i didn't save. I saved a lot.
Got them finalized and filed yesterday with my accountant. A few times he said things that were 'preparing' me for how much in taxes I'd be paying, and when he got it figured out he said "Okay, are you ready?" and kept number covered up.
When I saw it I did a little happy dance in my head, looked up at him and said "Is that it?".

4 Comments:
Good for you!!! Self-control says so much about a person!!! I wish I had a little more!! :)
awesome! good for you. now you'll have a better idea what you'll need to reserve for your taxes in the coming years.
Now if you just put the balance that you thought you would pay into an IRA it would reduce your taxes even more and you might have some money to retire on? Us baby boomers plan on breaking the Social Security account before you young-uns ever get your chance at it!! Don't you hate it when somebody is so practical?
Good job with the money management thing!!
Dad
hey DAD! Believe it or not, i AM putting money into an IRA, i did that right along with everything else AND i put money into my IRA EVERY MONTH! So there, HA. :) I do listen to you once in a while you know...
loveyou.
Post a Comment
<< Home