Christmas
Did you know that The First Christmas Tree was in Riga, Latvia? That's the home of our very own Kontrabanda!
(and check it out, there's a Riga photo page)
_________________________
On the day we got our Christmas Tree for our house, she told me 'these aren't real Christmas Trees' and I kinda went 'huh?' and she pointed out that when you draw pictures of tree the branches point up, not down. Good point. Now that I think about it I've seen it both ways. But this is proof, she's totally right. Check out the branches in the LATVIAN Christmas Tree.
And all this because i was trying to figure out if my thought that the word 'Christmas' really means 'Christ's Mass':
In the earliest days of the Christian Church festivals celebrating the birth of Christ were held. In England this festival was know as Christes messe, which means Christ's mass. From this comes our word Christmas. It is often represented as Xmas because the X is the Greek equivalent of Ch, and Ch represents Christ.

1 Comments:
that made me miss home... :)
Post a Comment
<< Home