Thursday, December 01, 2005

no electricity = no internet

I've been waiting to feel INSPIRED to write something, but over a week has gone by (and my last post was, ummm...weak, to say the least) and i've felt inspired, but not felt like writing. So now, when i should really be working, i'm writing.

So here's the latest, going backwards:

This morning I woke to a beautiful layer of fresh snow outside. Snow is always the best before it's been disturbed and has had time to sit and get dirty and icky with squirrel pee and so forth. (see picture of backyard - hopefully the first 'disturbing' of that will be the snow angels i'll convince agnese to make with me when she gets home).

I'd been planning to be in sioux city this morning, because last night was cooking night with the small group girls - we were making food-to-freeze for the member of the group ready to pop out her baby any second - but the snow made me not want to travel all the way to south sioux.

So I decided to make my food anyway, turkey dumpling soup and broccoli/veggie hot dish, but i still needed ingredients. After venturing to Hy-Vee I was eternally grateful that I'd decided not to venture to Sioux City, five blocks there and back was more than enough (I think i need new tires).

The turkey dumpling soup (a variation of chicken noodle soup), made from the turkey i cooked on Tuesday, turned out wonderful. One pot to freeze and one pot to eat and now we're out of turkey, so it's a good thing I bought another one! Once i got started I couldn't stop and my sugar cookies turned out pretty good too (though i need to get Grandma's recipe) now i just need frosting and i'll have really great christmas cookies (stars and candy canes!). Adam decided my name should be changed to Suzy (Homemaker) and my roomie was voting more for Betty (Crocker). What they don't know is that this only happens about twice a year, so look for it to roll around again next spring...

I'm sure you all know that South Dakota got a good blizzard Monday, and with the snow yesterday I heard that 30,000 homes in SD had no electricity. Thank goodness Vermillion wasn't hit that hard...i don't know what i'd do without internet...

Thanksgiving was great, a three-day visit almost-to-kansas at Adam's grandparent's house consisted of lots of relaxing, 4-wheeler and tractor rides, cards and dominoes, and wonderrrfulll food at the house of great hosts (thanks Marilyn!). OH and OF COURSE the Nebraska/Colorado football game! How could i almost forget that?! It was a great game, NU won 30-3 (not that i can actually take credit for watching - those football-watching hours allowed me ample time to work on finishing the book i'd started Thanksgiving Day).

And that brings us back to Wednesday...

"A turkey is a funny bird..."


(P.S. - a big shout-out goes to MVV for the job offer! Congrats!)

1 Comments:

Blogger melissa said...

i would go out in the snow & make snow angels with you :)

it's snowing here today finally. it's the perfect type of snow: soft & fluffy w/no wind to blow it around.

12/01/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home