Wednesday, October 05, 2005

the difference

In Northwest Iowa, when murder happens it's BIG news. Top story on the local news, Capital letter headlines in the newspapers. The story is followed for days, weeks sometimes, and if it's bad enough the anniversary date the next year is a memorial to the victims...

In Sacramento, California; the latest crime is rarely the top headline, sometimes it's buried in the middle pages. The headline I do see? The story about how witnesses to murders in broad daylight deal with the emotional trauma, buried in the paragraphs three brutal murders that happened within the last two weeks are listed. And in recent news, yesterday's slaying is listed between "Grant helps UCD study stem cells" and "Golf course maintenance privatized".

I used to want to live in a place with real news. Now, I like living in a place where the top news story is "Technology helps court reporters keep up"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home