An Anniversary Weekend
We took the day off. I'm sitting around, soaking up the internet because I haven't had access to it since Friday afternoon (withdrawal!) and the boy is napping.
A year ago this weekend we had this big party, my name officially changed, and we said the 'I dos' that bind people together for life. I'd bought Adam a card to give to him on our wedding day, one that simply said 'I am so lucky'. In the craziness of a wedding day, the card was one of the few things I forgot. It didn't seem right to just randomly give him when it was meant for the wedding day, so it stayed in my nightstand drawer. I pulled the card out last week to give to him for our anniversary, and realized how much more it means to me now that it did just a year ago. I am so lucky.
"They" say the first year is the hardest, I heard one person say that it was the hardest in comparison to the rest because they just get so much better. I can see that. Our first year wasn't hard by any meaning of the word... but yet, we love each other so much more now than we did then and we know each other better. We had minor arguments, I'm sure, but neither one of us can remember what they were. They were just steps on the road to learning each other better.
I want to write about all the things I love, all the memories of the last year, but I don't know where to start. I just know that I'm looking forward to all the rest of the years together. God knew what He was doing when He joined these two hearts...
For our anniversary, we spent the day at a Nebraska state park. We went on a short horseback trail ride, attempted mountain-biking (discovered that the park must spend so much time keeping up the water park, ice-rink, theater, craft center, horsey rides, etc that they don't have time to keep up their trails which are pretty much all horribly overgrown and obstacle-course like with the holes and fallen trees) enjoyed the scenery and grilled some pre-seasoned chicken while drinking 2 bottles of wine out of plastic cups at our secluded cabin.
Over chicken and potato salad we talked about the last year, about our wedding day and how we wouldn't change a thing about either one. Then we made the grill into a makeshift campfire and cuddled in the heat of the fire into the night. It was the perfect way to celebrate a year together. Nothing fancy or picture-perfect, but just time spent enjoying each other.
| view pictures |
(and, of course, to make up for missing the Nebraska-USC game last year for this wedding thing, we had to attend the one in Lincoln this year. And though the Huskers lost... horribly... we had a great time. NU's game day atmosphere is fantastic... I could get hooked...

3 Comments:
Happy anniversary! Right before we got married, a friend of mine lamented that we were like her and her husband: We didn't care much about the wedding, we cared about the marriage. I thought about that again the other day when a coworker of mine whose getting married Saturday said he doesn't care much about the 22nd, only the 23rd, 24rd and every day after.
Weddings are great fun, but I think every little day that follows is so much better.
Happy anniversary!!!!!!!!!! We were thinking of you and celebrating with you :) :) :)
Congratulations!! Great post about love and marriage. And as cliche as it sounds, imagine that it still gets better and better... our second anniversary is right around the corner and I couldn't be happier, more in love and blessed to be married to my hubby. We are both 'SO LUCKY'!!
Post a Comment
<< Home