Wednesday, January 16, 2008

california fix

BIG STORM in California meant...

... it was wet at the beach, but we still went.

We ran around in the rain, listened to the ocean waves and poked at dead jellyfish with sticks...


I'm really not sure there's anything like the northern ca coastline. I love the magnificence of it.



(sun started coming out later in the day)

But the best thing about Cali? The food and wine.


No matter how many times I see a rainbow, they never really cease put me in awe. This one looked like it ended right across the road.


Redwoods...
(Adam's all...hurry up and take the picture!)

My sister, brother-in-law, husband and I all went to Northern California right after the New Year. We had a blast. The BIG STORM mentioned above was funny for us, but big for them. Supposedly the worst in ten years, though I don't think Santa Rosa got it quite as bad as some other places. If we'd been in some of the areas with 80+ mph winds (up to 105!) then, yeah, we may not have laughed and driven out to the ocean anyway. The electricity went out, and it was out pretty much all day. Our cousin said the electricity NEVER goes out... like, really never. What strikes me as funny though, is a storm consists of wind and rain. Typically, if we get wind and rain in the midwest we call it... wind and rain.

We toured some wineries, had a crab feast with the cousins, checked out million dollar homes, hung out, ate italian, seafood, japanese and mexican (though the mexican could have been better), went to grocery stores (yes, that's fun), 'hiked' in Muir woods and exhausted the boys in San Francisco. It went way too fast, and even though it was "cold" there. I'd take California cold over midwest cold any day.

Is Spring here yet?

2 Comments:

Blogger studiocitro said...

OK, let me re-type the whole thing. There is obviously no spell check and it's still almost 6 am.

I love traveling and having guests over! Do you remember that time when I went to visit you in CA for my b-day? And we went out and had a blast. Then we had breakfast at like 3 am at "Lori's"? I can't remember the name of that restaurant now. And I had had too many cranberry vodkas.... But that was better than the Coldplay concert. There are times you wish you could forget but there are times you never want to forget. LIke that hot afternoon when we went to wineries. I see that you took your sister to one of them as well :) And we ate sushi in San Fran and stayed in a hotel in the middle of the city? I loved those times!!!!

1/16/2008  
Blogger melissa said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful trip :) I'm so glad that you were all able to go together. Happy for you :)

1/16/2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home