Constructive Criticism
I've honestly thought about writing this post many times, but am never near my computer or if I am I'm busy doing other things and don't do it. But a conversation this morning spurred me on...
I'm really good at giving people advice. I'm not bragging, because I never said I give them GOOD advice! But I often find myself just giving advice, mostly about situations that I've never been in and therefore have no idea what the advice really means or about personalities and things people do. It bugs me about myself sometimes, but people sometimes ask for more... so I keep doing it...
But then I have moments where I stop and think: where is MY constructive criticism? I'll point out the faults (I think you have) in you, but by no means am I perfect. And we all know it's easier to see other people's downfalls than to see your own. So I can sit and imagine what I think they might be.. where I might be hurting people, or being blind to myself... but what if there are things that drive people crazy about me that I just plain don't see and don't know about? What if I'm hurting someone in some unknown way and they never bother to tell me? What if something I do looks really rude to others, but I never see it?
So here is my request to you my friends: tell me. tell me now in the comments, or tell me now in an email, or tell me when it comes up and you can point out that i just did it. just, please tell me. Even if you think it might be a little irrational. I can promise I won't be hurt, no matter what you say, I won't be. I can't promise it will change, but I can promise that i'll at least be aware of it...

1 Comments:
See, one of the things I'm learning is that I can't control how others are but I can control my reaction/time spent with them...therefore, I'm telling people less and less of this kind of stuff. Also, as we get older we tend to care a lot less...someone stood me up? Gave advice I don't need? Didn't invite me along? Made me feel inferior by hinting they are older/wiser/further along in life? I just shake my head and decide whether *I* want to deal with it right now rather than worrying about pointing the same out...But if I see something that is a pattern, I'll try to give you a heads up. :)
--v--
Post a Comment
<< Home